Think you’re a water-saving guru? Take the quiz below to find out just how much you know about water conservation. Then scroll down for detailed answers and easy tips to help you conserve!
- By limiting your shower time to the length of your 2 favorite songs (about 6 minutes) you can save 2.5 gallons of water or more per minute! Consider switching to a low-flow shower head that may only use 1.25 gallons per minute to make an even more conservative impact.
- Flushing toilets is the greatest water user in your household; flushing toilets accounts for up to 27% of your household water usage. We’ve all heard the age-old saying “If it’s yellow let it mellow,” — so consider trying this method out in your own home to score more conservative points!
- Only 1% of Earth’s water is available for us to use in our daily lives! Most usable water on Earth is out of our reach -trapped in a gaseous state, underground, or in icecaps- and much of Earth’s remaining water is not fresh or clean enough for our consumption. This puts in to perspective how important it is that we conserve and protect this valuable resource!
- The average American uses 100+ gallons of water per day. A family household can use over 400 gallons daily! By practicing simple conservation habits and waste-proofing your home, you could be saving thousands of gallons of water per year… not to mention $$$!
- Leaky faucets can waste over 400 gallons of water per year depending on how much they drip. A drip every 6 seconds (or 10 drips per minute) is actually on the milder side of the leak spectrum. Make sure to turn all faucets completely off, check often for leaks, and keep pipes well-maintained!
Now that you’ve determined how conservative you are, challenge a friend to find out the same! Share this quiz on Facebook or Twitter to see which of your friends are more conservative than you. Conserve: WATER u waiting 4?