Today’s blog is from Laurie Loftin, who is a not-so-secret Sewer Hero!
What is a Sewer Hero? These dedicated individuals fight grime, protect the public, and battle super villains. Let me introduce you to two of the Sewer Hero’s biggest foes:
The Sewer Hero has many enemies. Let me introduce you to two of the Sewer Hero’s biggest foes:
The Wicked Wipes Monster
This monster seems harmless. Clever marketing encourages you to welcome it into your home. You find it in a decorative, neat package perfect for brightening the back of the
toilet. The soft, fresh scent masks any sense of doo-m that may soon flow. Do not let its quilted softness fool you. Once you flush the Wicked Wipe Monster down a toilet, it has a way of rearing its ugly head right back out of your toilet. Made from a durable material, “flushable” wipes do not easily disintegrate in water. Wicked Wipes use their strength to clog pipes. The damage is evident when raw sewage is overflowing in your home, oozing from a manhole cover, or the wipes hinder our equipment at the water reclamation facility.
Be a Sewer Hero!
- If you use wipes, be it flushable, baby, cleaning, or make-up remover wipes, put these in the trash, not the toilet.
- Instead of using wipes, keep a small spray bottle of water by the toilet. When the time comes, fold your toilet paper into a neat square and spritz it with the water bottle. You have made a homemade wipe that cleans and flushes easily.
The Grease Menace
Yuuuummm, bacon. Who doesn’t love the meat candy? The only problem with bacon is the grease it leaves behind. It is a menace. It will try to deceive you. At a hot
temperature, the grease looks like a liquid one can easily pour down the drain. Don’t fall into its greasy trap. Once it goes down the drain, this shape shifter attaches itself to the sides of the pipe. As more fats from items such as peanut butter, sour cream, and ranch dressing flow past, they join forces to form a league of Grease Menaces, aka FOG (Fats, Oils, & Greases). The result is a nasty FOG Clog. Nothing can get past the putrid plug it creates. When you see the items you flushed down your drain or toilet start to reappear in your home, you will know the mark of the Grease Menace.
Be a Sewer Hero!
- NEVER pour used cooking fats, oils, or grease down the drain. Let these cool and put them in the trash.
- Wipe out empty containers of high-fat foods. Wipe off plates covered in dressings. Do you have a dog? Let Fido do some pre-washing of your dishes.
- Recycle used cooking oils. In Athens, GA, our Recycling Center, Landfill, and the North and Middle Oconee Water Reclamation Facilities have oil drop-off containers. The used oils are recycled and turned into biodiesels. Drop them off!
I hope you can see how easy it is to be a Sewer Hero. You don’t have to be bitten by a radioactive spider. There is no need to practice landing after a jump from a tall building. No special costume is required. The only gadget needed is a trash can to put the wipes and used cooking FOG into.
I ask you to accept this responsibility. In turn, you keep your headquarters clean and our city flowing. The power to be a Sewer Hero is within everyone. Once you choose to do so, you will discover it is flushing awesome!